For the last 12 days the Minnesota State Fair has been going on and with huge success. This year they set the all-time record for attendance with 1.8 million people attending the fair, an increase of over 5% compared to last year!
According to Brianna Schutte, spokesperson for the State Fair, there were several reasons for the increase in attendance:
- Mother nature cooperated - it was not too hot or too wet. The days were perfect for the fair.
- Easier to get to the fair - the new transportation hub made it easier for people to get to the fair on buses
- New West End Marketplace added new food items and many retail vendors - so the selection improved.
- Great music offerings and at least 4 sold out concert events.
- Mother Nature does have an impact, but use it to your advantage. You typically are not closed due to weather, so instead look for some special offers that your customers would be interested just because of Mother Nature. For example rain gear on a wet day. Get the message to your customers at the right time.
- Easy to get to your business? Why not make it even easier by allowing customers to purchase online and have the products delivered? Convenience is a key to growth. Try to make it as easy as possible for customers to find you, stop by to shop or shop online.
- New items - keeping your menu fresh or your inventory up to date with the trends is important. So you don't have anything new? Feature and highlight some of your specialties because many people may not be familiar with all of the products that you offer.
- Sold out concerts - probably not practical for most businesses - but delivering a great customer experience is possible. The customer experience is a combination of atmosphere, amazing employees, technology, and most importantly the product they are looking for.