In 1983, there were 80,900 c-stores, and now there are over 151,000. For 8 of the last 10 years, there has been growth in the number of stores. What does all of this mean? As a c-store, there is so much competition everywhere for your business. How do you compete with every other c-store around you? That depends on your location.
If you're the only c-store in a small town, you still have competition. Many residents of a small town drive to other towns for work or recreation. The gas stations in other towns are your competition. We have a few tips for competing with these other stores.
1. Stay competitive with gas prices.
2. Offer items in the store that your customers want and need.
3. Appreciate your customers by directly giving them offers or rewards for their business.
As a c-store in a mid-sized town, there are probably 2-4 other c-stores you are competing against. Your store needs to find a way to stand out and be different from your competitors. Here are some tips to do that.
1. Encourage your customers to provide you with email or mobile phone numbers so you can make their shopping experience better because they will receive special offers only available to them.
2. Introduce unique food or beverage offerings. Make sure you have a way to tell them about it!
The average person in a metropolitan area has 3 different c-stores that they frequent. This includes the one on the way to work, the one on the way home from work, and the one closest to home. To compete, follow these tips.
1. Know what your competition is doing and try to do something different.
2. Connect with customers via email and text.
For any of these types of c-stores, you can entice your customers to return to your store through loyalty marketing. Your loyalty program should include these three things.
1. Easy signup process
2. Immediate reward
3. Easily understood program
67% of shoppers connect with a c-store in order to receive coupons. 62% connect to find out about sales or special deals.
For even more location-based c-store marketing tips, download our Location-Based Guide to C-Store Competition whitepaper.